Point of view
By S.H. LOKE from Mind Your Language - The Star
Many different words can be used to describe the way we look at things. Test your vocabulary skills with this exercise.
1. The children______in amazement at the giant ice-cream in the fun-fair.
A. gaped B. glared C. gloated D. peeped
2. The astronomy students____at the twinkling stars in the dark sky.
A. glanced B. gazed C. glared D. glimpsed
3. She _____at her students who were talking during her lesson.
A. peeped B. gloated C. glared D. gaped
4. A winner likes to______ over his success.
A. glare B. glance C. gloat D. gape
5. The opulent palace gives us a________of the rich life-style of the sultan.
A. glimpse B. glare C. gaze D. gloat
6. He_______in bewilderment when he saw some cows trampling on his vegetables.
A. glimpsed B. peeped C. peered D. goggled
7. Dave likes to_______ women who are attractive.
A. gaze B. ogle C. gloat D. peer
8. I took a______into her room out of curiosity.
A. gape B. peep C. peer D. gaze
9. We have to_______at the exhibits on display under the dim lights of the museum.
A. peep B. glare C. peer D. gloat
10. I saw my sister______her cats basking in the sun.
A. peering B. ogling C. glowering D. observing
11. My uncle is_______with anger because his lap top has been stolen.
A. gloating B. glowering C. glancing D. ogling
12, The bright sunlight made me _______as he took a photo of me.
A. squint B. peer C. glare D. stare
13. I took a quick ________at the car parked outside my house.
A. glare B. stare C. glance D. ogle
14. When people dress bizarrely we always _______at them.
A. gloat B. stare C. squint D. observe
15. Every morning I______through the newspaper before I go to work.
A. gaze B. browse C. gape D.observe
16. I enjoy_______around in bookstores.
A. staring B. glancing C. browsing D. squinting
1. A Gaped 2. B Gazed 3. C Glared 4. C Gloat 5. A Glimpse 6. D Goggled 7. B Ogle 8. B Peep 9. C Peer 10 D. Observing 11. B Glowering 12. A Squint 13. C Glance 14. B Stare 15. B Browse 16. C Browsing