nuffnang

Friday, October 23, 2009

Period of Time

CAN you please tell me which sentence is correct?

1. When we are home, it’s midnight.

2. When we are home, it’s going to be midnight.

3. When we are home, it’ll be midnight.

Do we say “I will arrive in 5 minutes time or 5 minutes’ time”? – Adam

The correct sentence is 3) “When we are home, it’ll be midnight.” But it would sound better if you wrote: “It’ll be midnight when we are/get home.”

We say: “I will arrive in 5 minutes’ time”. When we mention a period of time, followed by the word “time” and some other words, the “time” word (i.e. minutes, hours, days, years) has an apostrophe after it if it is plural and an apostrophe “s” after it if it is singular. For example, we say:

“I will go in two days’ time.”; “I will arrive in an hour’s time.”; “I’ve taken two days’ leave.” “Top professional footballers get paid more for a week’s work than most people for a year’s work.”




source: thestar.com.my


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin